Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Dumb Ass Questions Not To Ask An Adoptive Parent

  'Does he speak Spanish?' - asked by a relative, and you know who you are girlfriend, the second we brought home Isaac from Guatemala. Why yes. He came out of the womb speaking Spanish and at one year of age he is now completely fluent.

  Winner of the most insensitive question - 'Did they have a sale on babies?' So my baby is reduced to merely dollars in your mind since I actually had to seek an adoptive agency out to help him come to our family. And yes. I always considered me and my husband a family. We were just much smaller without Isaac.

  Winner of the most ironic question, seeing as it came from an administration person with Arkansas Christian Academy in Bryant - 'Do you know how precious your son is?' .

  Well let's see. I cried myself to sleep for 23 years before he came into our life. We spent thousands of dollars we had no idea where they were going to come from when we started the process. We had to take pictures of our house and write half a book to provide beginning info for the adoption agency. We had to hire not one but two lawyers. We had to host a home visit to prove we would be fit parents. We took five plane trips, both ways, in God-awful weather, causing extreme turbulence and rough take-offs and landings the entire trip. We rode in a tiny, barely holding together car without seatbelts both from and back to the airport, weaving through Guatemala City traffic that apparently followed no safety rules whatsoever. I just closed my eyes a lot and prayed.

  Let me tell you how much my son is worth to me. I love my son more than anything else in the entire world. I told him that every time I laid him down for a nap. Isaac is worth more than all the riches in both heaven and earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You for reading this blog.